Thursday, October 17, 2013

No compost for you

I feel like one of those movie stars who blows through 6 or 7 marriages-- just another failed relationship with another garden service.  I waited around home yesterday morning for Mr. Le and his 4 yards of compost.  Finally I sent a text message "confirming" our appointment?  Maybe that jogged his memory, because shortly after he left two incoherent voicemails (unfortunately there's a language barrier) saying he could not come and wanting to reschedule at his convenience.

Gee-- thanks, but no thanks.

You may know that in Seattle, good citizens put their yard clippings, potato peels, chicken bones, used paper towels, greasy pizza boxes etc. in a "clean and green" bin (the clean part is debatable) that gets picked up once a week, along with the separate recycling bin (newspapers, cans, wine bottles, junk mail, etc.) and the tiny can of truly evil trash, containing stuff that can't be recycled or composted. 

All the organic goop is hauled to a mind-boggling composting facility called Cedar Grove, where they turn our garbage in useful garden products and sell it back to us.  After being stood up once again, I was gloomily perusing the Cedar Grove website drooling over the luscious pictures of rich, black compost for sale.  Hey!  Wait a minute! Mr. Le was going to make a tidy profit on 4 yards!

While I was browsing around, the nicest live chat compost girl popped up on the screen and asked if I had any questions.  Wow, that's what I call service.  I said I was looking for help with the back-breaking job of spreading 4 yards of compost on my flower beds.  She suggested ordering up the home delivery "compost blowing truck."  And guess what?  For several hundred dollars less than the expensive and high maintenance Mr. Le.
Stay tuned.
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment